Saturday, April 29, 2006

The Caste Chaos

I always loathed the privileges enjoyed by minorities in India without any cause. I was agitated and confounded when I experienced this myself while applying for undergraduate program. This animosity inflated when one of my friends who extraordinarily marched his way up to top 50 students in state but still had to compromise. How does it feel when a minority student with 191/300 gets a seat into one of the finest institution while a talented upper class student with 291/300 won't make it? I was taken aback when I came to know that almost 50% of seats in all the institutions are reserved for minorities.

Now, being born in open caste is as good as crime. You have to make compromises at every stage of life. The privilege system was started more than 50 years back to encourage the development of poor minority classes with financial perspective in mind. This quota system which was initially started for a period of 10 yrs mainly to encourage learning and knowledge has now turned into major hindrance in nation's growth. How can you expect such incompetent people getting into top Indian institutions purely by quota’s aid to fair? Would increase in reservation will do any good? Does getting into top institution make them any better? In fact this quota system is having reverse effect, students belonging to this class study less, and they know how this quota system is there to their aid. When it comes to providing financial reservation which is what started this quota system back then, I totally support that. I would not like if the needy and deserving one's get deprived of higher education just because of inadequate money. But when I look around I find most of the minority class equally well to-do and surely can afford more or less same kind of educational cost. But I am ready to buy that there are people who cannot afford this cost. But providing quota’s in candidate seats won't lead us anywhere.

On the other hand this people always talk about getting categorized. Having a quota system is in itself the root for this categorization. How can they expect to ask for quota’s and on the same hand ask not to talk about this delineation? They talk about treating them indifferently, isn't this quota system another way of treating them indifferently? They would talk about eradicating this categorization but when it would come to increasing the quota, they would be the first one to claim about how they belong to lower class. I would say if they want to eradicate this categorization, than eradicate this system of quota’s and reservation. Let the talent prevail!

But the dark side is this would always remain as an fantasy. I do not see people enjoying this godsend privileges for more than 50 yrs now to yield. And not to mention the breed of parasites "Politicians" who are always ready to milk on such sensitive issue. It's shame to see so called leaders vowed to nation's improvement making mockery of a national interest for personal gain. I wonder why our apex court is not doing anything in this regard, which otherwise does take matter like this one into its own hand.

I am perplexed at the thought of having quota’s in the IIT's, IIM's and private sector as well. This clearly disturbs the idea of India as unity in diversity. Things are far from perfect but we should work together to make this cast system a non issue. I think its time for a Revolution, time for khalbali, an another Rang De Basanti!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we shld have reservations but it shld be based on economical conditions and not castes. These days even middle class ppl can not afford higher education, forget about lower income grp.

Victim Of Desire said...

saala topi ka case to mein kabhi bhi nahi bhulunga... hurts me everytime i think of it..baki i agree with vishal...reservation on basis of financial needs is apt, but not this..not this...

accha likha hain..i m proud of you my boy!!

Anonymous said...

nice job boss!!! i agree with vishal.. keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Good Post.

Yeah, I'll never understand this calculation of giving higher education based on caste. I can not see any point.

Anonymous said...

arey apna sachu itna accha kab say likhney laga... ur writing skill has improved a lot. Carry on.

Alok

power_of_s said...

Quota or No Qouta debate will go on but yes having qouta based on financial needs would be appropriate.

Alok: Likhte hue tune dekha hi kab tha. I was always better, you should have understood that from my GRE prep and urs CAT prep days..he.he..