Thursday, May 04, 2006

Just another lucky guy

I received untimely but rather expected 'OIRA' style graduation treat today. To make it clear, OIRA stands for Office of Institutional Research and Assessment, where I have been working to earn my bread and butter for last 2 and 1/2 years now. One's favorite cake (Black Forest in my case) and 2 flavors of ice cream make OIRA style party. And of course something special for this party was a graduation memorabilia. Another seven days and I will bid adieu to OIRA as well.

It seems to be just yesterday when a shy, nervous, unexperienced and amateur brown guy discovers this opportunity waiting around unexploited in the unseen corner of the campus. I can still remember that day little vaguely, wearing a tee with inappropriate message I entered the lobby of the office. Since it was lunch time and everyone from office was in the break room, I was asked to meet the director in break room itself. The idea of facing every staff member at once, made me stumble a bit. When I entered and gave a brief introduction about myself, there were questions darting around from every nook and corner of the room and to my surprise I handled all of them rather unexpectedly well. And yes, some questions were indeed about the message printed on my tee. Leaving the office on high note of confidence, I was wondering if this tee did ruin my chances or did it made day for that bunch of gleeful Americans.

And within a span of 3 days I get the offer from OIRA. I still wonder if it was that tee shirt or my apt answers that made me providential. To make the events even more extravagant, I was having 3 opportunities to choose from on that day. But this one being 0.5 FTE there was essentially no option. From that day to today, everything worked out seamlessly without any sorts of hassle. I could not have asked more than having assistantship with such a considerate boss. I would always be thankful to everyone at OIRA staff and especially to my boss Mike, all my life for their support and consideration. Cheers!

6 comments:

Victim Of Desire said...

hmmm...i often wonder why some things fall in place so well and so swiftly...in an almost surreal fashion... and then imagining life without them gets difficult...but everything has to end...just be happy that it is all ending gracefully...

Anonymous said...

yup u r correct punnu..everything in life has an end but graceful end is the most beautiful part of it which u will remember for rest of ur life and that motivates u to give ur best

Anonymous said...

dude...so what was the message on the t-shirt!?!

power_of_s said...

Victim: Yes, everything till now fell surely in place..and hope it continues to go same way..

Alok: Tera comment dekh ke aacha laga..and yes as u said..this will surely motivate to give my best in life ahead..

Ranjan: You are the man..you got the point..will let ya know sometime

Anonymous said...

Dude, even I wanna know what was written on ur tee??

Anonymous said...

I dint know u've been working there since 2 and 1/2 yrs....cool!